At Robichaud, Schroepfer and Correia, P.A., our motorcycle accident attorneys help individuals who have been injured in a motorcycle accident in or around Minneapolis, Minnesota. Trust our law firm to protect your interests during this difficult time.
Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Minneapolis, Minnesota?
Recovering from a motorcycle accident is difficult enough without dealing with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. As a motorcycle accident victim, you may face serious injuries, mounting medical bills, and lost income due to your inability to work. Due to the serious nature of motorcycle injuries and the pressing need to promptly secure evidence from the scene of a motorcycle-vehicle accident to determine or verify the events leading up to the accident, consult an experienced Minnesota motorcycle accident attorney immediately.
Motorcycle accidents in Minnesota are unfortunately common and extremely dangerous, regularly leading to severe injuries or death. The Minneapolis motorcycle accident lawyers at Robichaud, Schroepfer & Correia, P.A. have more than 40 years of combined experience holding at-fault drivers and their insurance companies accountable when they injure or kill innocent bikers.
Most motorcycle injuries are caused by careless drivers who fail to look for motorcycles on the road. Some common types of motorcycle accidents occur when a car or truck:
- Makes a left turn in front of a motorcycle
- Pulls out in front of a motorcycle from a side street
- Swerves into a lane occupied by a motorcycle
- Strikes a motorcycle that is stopped at a stoplight
- Fails to yield to a motorcycle at an intersection
Even if the other driver admits fault after the accident, the other side may attempt to shift blame to you — for example, by claiming you were speeding or driving recklessly. In Minnesota, your recovery from a personal injury lawsuit is reduced by any percentage of fault that is assigned to you. If you are 51 percent or more at fault, you are not entitled to recover compensation from the other driver.
Considering these facts, Minneapolis motorcycle accident victims should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer well-versed in motorcycle cases as soon as possible after an accident to collect and preserve evidence of liability. Our Minneapolis motorcycle accident lawyers will carefully investigate every aspect of your accident to seek maximum compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, property damage, and pain and suffering.
If you were a passenger on a motorcycle when you were injured in a crash, you are entitled to seek monetary compensation for your injuries — regardless of who was at fault. Contact our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers to schedule a free consultation. Call RSC Law today to learn more about your rights — and seek the compensation that may be available to you.
Common Injuries Related to Minnesota Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accident victims in Minnesota often suffer severe injuries, given the lack of protection motorcycle riders have compared to occupants of other vehicles. Some common injuries sustained among motorcyclists in motorcycle crashes include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): Even with helmets, riders can sustain concussions, brain bruising, or other head injuries involving more severe forms of TBI due to a motorcycle crash.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: A motorcycle accident injury involving the spinal cord can lead to partial or complete paralysis.
- Lower-Body Injuries: Motorcycle accident cases often involve damage to the legs, pelvis, and other lower body parts.
- Road Rash: This occurs when a rider slides across the pavement, causing severe skin abrasions.
- Broken Wrists or Arms: Injuries are common when riders extend their arms in an attempt to break their fall when their motorcycle crashes.
- Facial Fractures and Disfigurement: Without a full-face helmet, riders are at risk of severe facial injuries if they suffer a motorcycle crash.
It is a vital concern for all riders to wear appropriate safety gear and follow traffic rules to minimize the risk of these injuries in the case of a motorcycle crash. If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident, speak with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney who can help you understand your rights and your potential to seek fair compensation for your medical expenses, injuries, and other damages. Contact our Minneapolis motorcycle accident attorneys at RSC Law today to schedule a free consultation.
Motorcycle Accidents are Strongly Connected to Incidents of Severe Injury and Death in Minnesota
There is a stark correlation between motorcycle accidents and severe injury or death. Motorcycles offer less protection than enclosed vehicles, making riders vulnerable to severe injuries during accidents. Unfortunately, fatal motorcycle accidents are common.
According to the National Safety Council, over a ten-year period, motorcycle-related deaths have increased by 19%. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data indicates that around 80% of all motorcycle accidents lead to injuries or death.
This disparity becomes even more evident when comparing motorcycle accidents with car accidents or other auto accidents. Motorcycle riders are 28 times more likely to lose their lives in fatal crashes than other motorists on the road. Motorcycle accidents in Minnesota involving motorcyclist fatalities may include cause for a wrongful death claim.
To mitigate future motorcycle accident fatalities and injury risks, our Minneapolis motorcycle accident lawyer team encourages all riders to follow these safety precautions, concerns, and training options for motorcyclists in Minnesota:
- Motorcycle Helmet Use: Helmets are about 37% effective in preventing motorcycle deaths.
- Protective Clothing: This includes proper jackets, pants, gloves, and boots, which can protect a motorcycle operator against road rash and other injuries.
- Defensive Driving: This includes understanding and adhering to traffic laws, not sharing lanes with cars, and being vigilant of surrounding traffic.
- Motorcycle Safety Training: Minnesota offers state-approved motorcycle safety courses, which can provide riders with valuable skills and knowledge.
Minneapolis motorcyclists often have an opportunity to encourage each other to practice safer habits — particularly when they ride socially. These steps may prevent you or a loved one from becoming a motorcycle accident victim. At RSC Law, our Minneapolis motorcycle accident attorneys encourage riders in Minnesota to lead by example to prevent dangerous accidents and severe injuries.
The Basics of Motorcycle Accident Claims
The following are the basic steps of a motorcycle accident claim in Minnesota:
- Immediately After The Accident: Ensure everyone is safe, call 911, and seek immediate medical attention — even for minor injuries. Document the scene, if possible–including taking photographs of the scene and damage to the vehicles.
- Reporting the Accident: Report the accident to law enforcement agencies, as required by Minnesota law, in cases involving injury, death, or damage to property over the value of $1,000.
- Filing an Insurance Claim: Notify your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible. Provide them with all the necessary details, but avoid making definitive statements about fault or injuries.
- Consulting a Lawyer: Seek legal advice from a knowledgeable Minneapolis motorcycle accident lawyer to understand your rights and the potential value of your claim.
- Investigation and Negotiation: Your Minneapolis motorcycle accident lawyer will investigate the accident, review police reports, determine liability, and negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement.
- Filing a Lawsuit: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, your personal injury attorney may file a motorcycle accident lawsuit on your behalf. In Minnesota, you generally have six years from the date of the accident to commence a lawsuit.
Motorcycle accident claims can be affected by factors such as the following:
- Helmet Use: While Minnesota law doesn’t require all riders to wear a helmet, whether someone does so can affect the severity of the injuries they may suffer, and the associated potential compensation amount.
- Fault: Minnesota follows a comparative fault rule, meaning your compensation potential may be reduced if you’re found to be partially at fault.
Compared to other motor vehicle accident claims, Minneapolis motorcycle accidents often lead to more severe injuries, potentially leading to higher compensation. However, they may also involve bias against motorcyclists, underscoring the importance of working with an experienced Minneapolis motorcycle accident attorney.
How To Assess The Value of Your Motorcycle Accident Case
Several factors can affect the value of a motorcycle accident case or claim in terms of the levels of compensation you may be able to seek:
- Conduct of the Other Party: The behavior and actions of the other party involved in the accident can significantly influence the claim’s value — particularly regarding their negligence or carelessness if they are the at-fault party
- Type and Severity of Injuries: More severe injuries typically lead to higher medical costs, potentially increasing the value of the claim. Note that you may have future medical expenses associated with your personal injury case, and your injuries may lower your capability to complete tasks, potentially leading to further expenses for services.
- Insurance Coverage: The insurance policies of all parties involved can impact the amount of compensation that may be available to a motorcycle collision accident victim. Your motorcycle accident lawyer will handle the conversations with the insurance adjusters and other communications with your insurance provider regarding your motorcycle insurance and your Minneapolis motorcycle accident claim.
- Non-Economic Damages: These damages are not for direct monetary losses but instead account for motorcycle accident victims’ experiential losses in the short-term and the long-term throughout their lives. These may include pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and emotional distress. Non-economic damages can substantially increase the value of a motorcycle accident claim.
- Lost Wages: It is common for motorcycle crashes to cause injuries that would make you unable to complete tasks required at your job. If your injuries from a motorcycle crash prevent you from working, you may be able to pursue compensation for lost income.
- Bias Against Motorcyclists: Unfortunately, there can be a bias against motorcyclists, which may affect the perceived liability — and consequently, the claim’s value. Your Minnesota motorcycle accident attorney can take steps to counter this bias when pursuing your case.
Motorcycle accident victims must act promptly after a motorcycle crash to preserve evidence and contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. At RSC Law, our motorcycle accident attorneys can help you navigate the complexities of these factors as a motorcycle accident victim and work on your behalf to seek the compensation you need following a motorcycle accident in Minneapolis or the surrounding area.
Work With the Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at RSC Law if You Have Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident in Minnesota
Motorcyclists are at a severe disadvantage on the road when it comes to avoiding accidents and their associated severe injuries. Our experienced Minneapolis motorcycle accident lawyer team at RSC Law can guide you through the complex process of filing a claim if you have suffered a motorcycle injury due to another driver’s negligence. Our Minneapolis motorcycle accident lawyers understand the pain and frustration involved in recovering from physical injuries, dealing with medical treatment expenses, and putting your life back together following an unfortunate incident on the road.
If you have been in a motorcycle accident in Minneapolis or the surrounding area in Minnesota, contact our experienced motorcycle accident lawyer team at Robichaud, Schroepfer, and Correia, P.A. to schedule a free initial consultation with our personal injury attorney team. The experienced attorneys at our law firm will assess the unique details of your case and identify the next steps you should take in your strategy to seek fair compensation for your motorcycle accident injuries and other related damages.
Contact Us Today
For A Free Consultation
Call Now (612) 333-3343
Free consultations are available for personal injury and workers’ compensation cases. For the convenience of our clients, we speak Spanish, Hmong, Vietnamese, Chinese and Somali.
We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.
Why Choose Robichaud, Schroepfer and Correia, P.A.?
We have offices in Minneapolis, MN, and Louisville, KY, catering to all walks of life. Our clients place trust and confidence in our well-established law firm because we always put our clients first:
- A proven track record both inside and outside the courtroom.
- Clients are the boss. You’ll know the strategy and options. We guide and you decide.
- You will know we are fighting for you based on an understood game plan.
- You are not just a file number; we provide the individualized attention you deserve.
- We accommodate clients from all cultures in a variety of languages.
- We provide the strengths and benefits of a big law firm combined with the small-firm care and accessibility you deserve.
- We guide you in your case from start to finish to achieve the best outcome possible.
Our actions speak for us; contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
News & Resources
RSC Law Announces Super Lawyers Selections for Two Attorneys
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota—RSC Law proudly announces that attorneys Paul Schroepfer and Robert Correia have been selected…
Personal Injury Attorney Robert A. Correia Named Attorney of the Year
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota—Robert A. Correia, Shareholder and Lead Attorney of Robichaud, Schroepfer & Correia, P.A., has…
RSC Law Success Story: $1.25 Million Settlement for Injured Client!
Results Matter. Small Firm Attention. Big Firm Results. RSC Law shareholder Robert Correia recently settled…