At Robichaud, Schroepfer and Correia, P.A., we help individuals and families who have been involved in car accidents in or around Minneapolis, Minnesota. Focus on your medical recovery — let us worry about everything else.
Do You Need Help From a Car Accident Attorney in Minneapolis, Minnesota?
No one wakes up in the morning thinking they will be in a car accident, but accidents happen every day and change people’s lives. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you know how much it can impact your life. Car accidents interrupt your priorities and can put many facets of your life on hold. You need a clear way to move forward with your interests in mind. After a car accident, you may be struggling with pain, overwhelmed by bills and financial stress — and confused and frustrated by the process of dealing with car accident claims with insurance companies. This process can be complex. Our Minneapolis car accident attorneys at RSC Law can help.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident caused by the negligence or inattention of another driver, you are entitled to seek compensation. In many situations, you can recover monetary compensation for lost wages, medical bills, property damage, and pain and suffering. If you were in a particularly serious car accident and you suffered serious injuries, the nature of your injuries and how they can be expected to affect you in the long term will also impact the damages you can seek in response to the collision.
The car accident attorneys at Robichaud, Schroepfer & Correia, P.A. have over 40 years of experience in a wide range of practice areas. We help people like you every day after they have suffered an accident on the road. Trust us to carefully investigate every aspect of your car accident and walk you through this difficult time. We handle the insurance company and car accident claims on your behalf so you can focus on your life and your physical recovery. Our attorney’s fees are contingent upon recovery, so we aren’t paid unless and until you are compensated. Call us today for a free consultation.
Common Types of Car Accidents
Our firm can help clients injured in many types of car accidents, including:
- Truck Accidents
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Mass Transit Accidents
- School Bus Accidents
- Construction Vehicle Accidents
- Head-On Collisions
- Rear-End Collisions
- Fatal Accidents
It is important to remember that even if you were a passenger in a vehicle or if you do not have insurance, you are entitled to seek benefits as a car accident victim in many situations. Unfortunately, many auto accident cases severely harm car accident victims, with injuries such as spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, fractures, burn injuries, or amputations. Following fatal accidents involving a family member, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim.
Do not hesitate to schedule a free consultation with a Minnesota car accident attorney at our office. Our experienced personal injury attorneys are prepared to provide clear advice regarding medical bills, processing, insurance forms, and how to deal with insurance adjusters.
Mistakes to Avoid Following a Car Accident
Before addressing the steps you should take, be aware of common errors that can sabotage your car accident case or even lead to criminal penalties:
Don’t Leave the Accident Scene Too Early
You must stay at the scene until it’s appropriate to leave. If you leave too early — particularly when any car accident victims sustained injuries or were killed — you can face serious criminal penalties. If there were any other vehicles involved in your auto accident, you will need to ensure everyone’s safety, exchange information, and follow the necessary steps listed below.
Don’t Lose Your Temper When Speaking With The Other Party Involved in an Auto Accident
Keep calm and composed. Any aggressive behavior or confrontation could complicate the legal process and affect your claim. Many car accidents are very stressful and frustrating, and it is understandable if you are angry at the at-fault party for causing an auto accident due to their carelessness. Still, you must remain cool-headed and channel that energy into constructive behavior in the moment by gathering information and determining whether anyone has suffered a serious injury. Do so with a plan to discuss these matters with an experienced attorney who will guide you through the recovery process in pursuit of fair compensation.
Don’t Admit Guilt Following a Car Accident in Minnesota
Even if you think you’re at fault for a Minneapolis car accident, don’t admit guilt. The accident could have been caused by factors you’re unaware of, or the other driver might share some of the blame. Let our Minneapolis car accident lawyers assess whether another factor intervened, enabling you to make a claim as an auto accident victim. Admitting guilt would sabotage your personal injury case and make it difficult for you to seek compensation for your injuries and other damages. You can often benefit from multiple perspectives and facts gained through investigation after you have secured legal representation.
Don’t Neglect Seeking Medical Help Following a Car Accident
Always seek medical attention immediately after a motor vehicle accident, even if you do not develop immediate pain–it is always a good idea to get checked out by a medical professional to assess your potential injuries. Some injuries don’t show immediate symptoms, and delayed treatment could harm your health and claim. Not only will the insurance company require documentation of your injuries for your injury claim, but you will also need this documentation if you pursue a Minnesota car accident lawsuit, and your short-term and long-term health may hang in the balance. Minneapolis car accident victims who forgo medical help when they need it harm their futures in a multitude of ways.
Don’t Forget to Promptly Contact a Minnesota Injury Lawyer
It’s important to consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible following a car crash. At RSC Law, our experienced car accident attorneys can guide you through the legal process, protect your rights, and help you maximize your compensation for car accident injuries and other damages following auto accidents. Car accident victims who fail to promptly speak with a car accident lawyer risk severe financial hardship in the future if unseen long-term expenses are not included among their damages for their auto accidents.
Don’t Communicate Directly with Insurance Companies Beyond Reporting The Accident — Let Your Attorney Handle Details, Claims, and Negotiations
Let your attorney handle your car accident claim and all communications with insurance companies, including conversations with adjusters and claims under insurance policies. Insurers may manipulate you to admit fault or accept a low settlement offer. If the insurance company calls, you can direct them to your Minneapolis car accident lawyer, who will help you seek fair compensation for your car accident injuries.
The damages your personal injury lawyer will pursue compensation for on your behalf may include long-term expenses or other valid damages the insurance company doesn’t want you to consider for your insurance claim. Experienced Minnesota car accident lawyers anticipate these insurance company tactics to shortchange injury victims. By hiring an experienced Minnesota car accident lawyer, you will be be sure to account for the full scope of your damages in your car accident case.
The First Steps You Should Take Following a Car Accident
Take these immediate steps following a car accident:
- Ensure Safety: Your priority is to ensure your safety and that of others involved. If possible, move to a safe location away from traffic.
- Call 911: Dial 911 to report the car accident and request medical assistance, if necessary. Be sure to determine whether any accident victims appear to have suffered serious injuries from the car crash.
- Exchange Information: Collect names, share contact details and driver’s license numbers, and exchange insurance information from all involved parties.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the car accident scene, vehicle damage, any visible injuries, and any relevant road conditions or traffic signs. These photos can serve as important and valuable evidence in your car accident claim.
- Speak to Witnesses: If there were witnesses of your traffic accident, collect their contact information and statements.
- Report the Accident: In Minnesota, you’re required to file an accident report with the Department of Public Safety if there were injuries, deaths, or property damage over $1,000.
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney: An experienced Minneapolis car accident lawyer can guide you through the legal process, help you understand your rights, and seek the compensation you need. It is critical to do this promptly following your accident to ensure proper follow-up regarding evidence, witnesses, coordinating with the insurance company, and building your car accident case.
“No Fault” Rules for Car Accident Cases
Minnesota’s “No-Fault” rules significantly impact how compensation for damages is handled in an insurance claim following a car accident:
- No-Fault Insurance: Minnesota is a no-fault state, which means that individuals turn to their own insurance policies to cover their medical expenses and other damages following car accidents, regardless of who was at fault. This insurance is also known as Personal Injury Protection (PIP).
- Coverage: PIP insurance covers your medical costs, lost wages, replacement services such as housekeeping, and in the event of death, $5,000 of funeral expenses.
- Threshold for Lawsuits: Under Minnesota’s no-fault system, you can only pursue a claim against the at-fault driver if your car accident injuries are severe or meet certain thresholds, such as medical expenses exceeding $4,000, sustained a permanent injury, 60 days of disability, or disfigurement. Your Minneapolis car accident lawyer will be able to advise you regarding steps to pursue a car accident lawsuit if you have suffered a severe injury.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Drivers: If the at-fault driver is uninsured and you have insurance on your vehicle, you will be able to pursue a claim against your own insurance company in place of the at-fault insurance company. Additionally, if the at-fault driver has insurance policy limits that do not compensate you for all of your damages, you may be able to pursue a claim against your own insurance policy for additional coverage.
In light of these rules, it’s vital to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney following an auto accident to ensure you understand your rights and potential avenues for compensation.
Contact RSC Law To Assess Your Car Accident Case and Strategize Your Recovery Plan
Car accidents can profoundly affect many facets of your life. From serious injuries requiring medical treatment to vehicle repairs and possible long-term implications that may affect your quality of life or your ability to work, our Minneapolis car accident lawyers at RSC Law can guide you in your case from start to finish.
Contact our experienced car accident attorney team at Robichaud, Schroepfer, and Correia, P.A. today to schedule a free consultation. We will assess the unique details of your case, review all relevant car insurance policies, consider whether you have a viable personal injury claim, and determine your next steps to seek fair and appropriate compensation for your damages following your car accident.
Contact Us Today
For A Free Consultation
Call Now (612) 333-3343
Free consultations are available for personal injury and workers’ compensation cases. For the convenience of our clients, we speak Spanish, Hmong, Vietnamese, Chinese and Somali.
We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.
Why Choose Robichaud, Schroepfer and Correia, P.A.?
We have offices in Minneapolis, MN, and Louisville, KY, catering to all walks of life. Our clients place trust and confidence in our well-established law firm because we always put our clients first:
- A proven track record both inside and outside the courtroom.
- Clients are the boss. You’ll know the strategy and options. We guide and you decide.
- You will know we are fighting for you based on an understood game plan.
- You are not just a file number; we provide the individualized attention you deserve.
- We accommodate clients from all cultures in a variety of languages.
- We provide the strengths and benefits of a big law firm combined with the small-firm care and accessibility you deserve.
- We guide you in your case from start to finish to achieve the best outcome possible.
Our actions speak for us; contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
News & Resources
RSC Law Announces Super Lawyers Selections for Two Attorneys
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota—RSC Law proudly announces that attorneys Paul Schroepfer and Robert Correia have been selected…
Personal Injury Attorney Robert A. Correia Named Attorney of the Year
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota—Robert A. Correia, Shareholder and Lead Attorney of Robichaud, Schroepfer & Correia, P.A., has…
RSC Law Success Story: $1.25 Million Settlement for Injured Client!
Results Matter. Small Firm Attention. Big Firm Results. RSC Law shareholder Robert Correia recently settled…